Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Import Duties overcharged by a Carrier

Finally, after almost 60 days, carriers replied my email and claimed they will issue a credit note for us. They realized they made a mistake and they wrongly thought the shipment was from EU, but actually it was not. They no longer need REX number as that was not related to the case. What I can conclude is the whole progress is very complicated and not easy to handle, consumed me many days, many business hours...etc Thank you

Finally, after over a month, shipping carrier replied my email and stated that the reason why Zero Duty Rate is unable to apply for my previous shipment. (Import Goods into the UK) They said, - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - In order for the preferential tariff to be applied at clearance, the shipper's commercial invoice must include the preferential statement, as shown below and a REX registration number. "The exporter of the products covered by this document declare that where otherwise indicated these goods are of preferential origin. Place: Date: Signature:" Without this, import duty will be applied at the appropriate rate for the tariff used. We can confirm that in this instance there is no preferential statement or REX number, therefore Duty has been levied correctly. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - As they (shipping carrier) said, we missed those information on the Commercial Invoice and a Rex Number. #1 Is this the rule set by HMRC? #2 Where can I apply or/and find the Rex Number? Our company is registered in England, we only have EORI (linked with VAT) and VAT number, and we don't have a Rex Number. Has anyone still using Rex Number in year of 2023? Are they (shipping carrier) still using the information before Jan 2021? This is a very confusing issue, I got a big question mark on my head, please help.
  • RE: Postponed Import VAT failed to work !

This is where I went to apply and this is where I couldn't get the VAT EORI number. I don't think the information is correct. Thanks

Yes, we all understand that import duties are part of the import costs and importers may need to encounter it. But the question is that the zero rate duty goods are stated clearly on gov.uk, whether if the shipping carrier has a right to charge their own duty rate and ignore the rules set by gov. That's the point. If this is the case, how come we all need to follow the rules by gov but not some shipping carriers? Any ideas?

Hello HMRC Admin 20, I did exactly what you mentioned. Unfortunately, what I get is just an ordinary EORI number and I still do not know how I can get one. Any clue? Please advise
  • Import Duties overcharged by a Carrier

Last month, I got an invoice from the shipping carrier and I found out the import duties were wrongly calculated, I doubled checked the information based on gov.uk and found that the amount is incorrect. Then, I contacted the shipping carrier (via several emails and filling out their online form) but no any reply or follow-up, up to now. Is it legal for a shipping carrier to apply their own charges which are different compared to gov.uk? Can some shipping carriers bypass the rules set by GOV? If the carrier keeps the amount and refused to pay us back, what I can do next? Please help

Hello HMRC Admin 19, I visited to the link you provided "Get an EORI number". It's just a place to apply for an EORI number. And I still have no idea where I can apply for a VAT based EORI number. Please advise

Thanks Customs oldtimer You previously mentioned that "If you think you have a non VAT EORI you will need to request that HMRC cancel that and you ask for a new VAT EORI." Cancel the old EORI and request a new VAT EORI, in this situation, how about the CDS Account? request them to link it, cancel it or something else? Please advise

I do understand your meaning. However, when I applied for the VAT and EORI number, I don't have other choices and I can only apply for VAT number first (I was asked if I want EORI number, and I chose "Yes"). I think this application flow has no other choices and this way I can get VAT number first and then I get EORI number. Obviously, now, my EORI number doesn't contain my VAT number. 1. What is the problem when importing goods into the UK? 2. How can I fix this problem? Please help, and thanks
  • Import VAT Certificate (C79)

Our background: - VAT registered in the UK - With GB EORI number - With CDS Account - UK based business - EORI number provided on the electronic Air waybill Import VAT has been paid to the shipping carrier and goods received, some told me I will get my Import VAT Certificate after the end of the month (say June 15 paid for the VAT, and I'll have my C79 on my CDS account on early of July). Question 1: HMRC will not send me a hard copy C79 and I can only view and download it on my CDS account online. Is that true? Question 2: C79 is unrelated to shipping carrier and therefore I don't need to ask for them, right? Question 3: Should I also ask for shipping carrier to have an invoice for that? Is this necessary? Need bookkeeping? Please advise Thank you