Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Working overseas

Hi HMRC Admin 19 Understood that working 1 year overseas in the above scenario would not change one's domicile status. But say if you were to be away based on the above scenario for say 6 years, is it correct to say your domicile status would change? As you would have been a UK Tax resident for less than 15 of the last 20 years?
  • RE: Working overseas

Hi HMRC Admin 19 Thanks for your reply, From looking at the RDR3 Statuory Residence Test, my conclusion is that the above scenario would make me a Non-UK Tax Resident for that year as I would satisfy at least 2.3 in the automatic overseas test. But would this tax year being classified as being Non-UK Tax Resident automatically count the year as being Non Domicile is well?
  • Working overseas

I am a British citizen, if a company located in the UK wants to employ me and pay me in the UK therefore paying my income taxes to the HMRC, the company then send me to work in an overseas location for say 1 year. Will this scenario still make me a UK Tax Resident for that year even though I am physically located overseas? Does this period overseas can count towards as being Non Domicile?