Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Making goods for fundraising

Hi. I'm a sole trader making rope boat fenders. I would like to make fenders (in the National colours for Ukraine) to sell on eBay donating 100% of the price the customer pays to a charity supporting using eBays automated charity donation scheme. Can I claim the cost of the rope as a deductible expense along with delivery of the fender to the customer?
  • Self Employed Meal Allowance

I am a self employed boat mover (inland waterways) and I am often away several nights. Due to the nature of the job I have to take food solely and wholly purchased for the job which I would not otherwise buy. This is often more expensive due to the way that it is packaged. i.e tinned etc Often there is no fridge. I am aware that the rules for subsistence meals have been extended to the self-employed. I am also aware that lorry drivers are allowed an allowance for both accommodation and meals, although often they claim only for food as they sleep in the cab. I draw the parallel to the lorry driver as I am, in effect 'delivering' a boat to new a customer and / or location, the same as the lorry driver. My accommodation is also provided - another parallel to the lorry driver.