Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Gift tax for cash gift from overseas

Dear HMRC advisor, it appears my question got skipped so allow me to repost it here, please, and I would be grateful for a response: Hi, my mother has money saved from her business overseas. I am one of two sons, so she sends me cash gifts from time to time, usually 10-20k at a time. She now lives in the UK under a pre-settled status. She works here on a zero-hours contract just to have something to do. If she continues to send me money from her account in Brazil, now that she lives and works here on this zero-hour contract, will it create a tax liability for me? If it will, would it make a difference if she lived here but didn't work here? Thank you
  • RE: Gift tax for cash gift from overseas

Hi, my mother has money saved from her business overseas. I am one of two sons, so she sends me cash gifts from time to time, usually 10-20k at a time. She now lives in the UK under a pre-settled status. She works here on a zero-hours contract just to have something to do. If she continues to send me money from her account in Brazil, now that she lives and works here on this zero-hour contract, will it create a tax liability for me? If it will, would it make a difference if she lived here but didn't work here? Thank you