Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Adjusted net income for tax free childcare eligibility

    My understanding is that pension contributions taken before tax would not be grossed up, as they already paid from gross salary. Only those that are paid from post-tax income would be. But others may be able to confirm.
  • Am I eligible for the Marriage Allowance?

    My wife earns below the personal allowance, and we claim child benefit. I expect my gross salary this tax year to be £60k. £4k has been paid by my employer into my pension. I am employed and do not have any self-employment income. I understand that if I make £6k of additional gross pension contributions (not via my employer, paid separately into my SIPP ), my 'adjusted net income' will be £50k and there I will not have to pay the High Income Child Benefit Charge. However, will I be eligible for the Marriage Allowance? Guidance I have seen online is conflicting on this. Some suggests that it works like HICBC, and because my net income will be below the higher-rate threshold then I am ok. Others have said that because I technically speaking am a higher-rate taxpayer (even though my personal pension contributions bring me back down), I would not. Any clarification would be welcome.