Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Class 3 voluntary contributions (people move to UK from other country)

    I read from the HRMC web site that someone can fill up the gap by paying class 3 voluntary contributions for previous years. However, may I know whether it's eligible for people just move to UK from other countries? How many years can I pay back? I read some pages stated that up to 6 years to fill any gap in one's NI. But I also find that "You're a man born after 5 April 1951 or a woman born after 5 April 1953. You have until 5 April 2023 to pay voluntary contributions to make up for gaps between April 2006 and April 2016" Many thanks in advance.
  • RE: Supplementary card issued in other country

    How about I use the supplementary card to withdraw money from ATM? Still no need to pay tax? Any difference as if I am using arising based or remittance based?
  • remittance basic - foreign funds and saving insurance policy

    My wife and I should move to UK from HK early next year. We are now reviewing our assets to work out some financial plans. She has one saving insurance (which has dividend every year) and one fund which generate monthly income (but we need to pay interests for the capital) That's why we are thinking the feasibility to use the remittance basic for her taxation. Based on the information, the first 6 years (tax years? or based on calendar date we arrive) will be free of charge for choosing remittance basic for taxation. May I know any special approval procedure is required to change back to normal tax rules after first 6 years? On the 7th year, as if she move the money (after surrender the insurance policy and sell off the fund), any charge is required? Or we can record these money can be treated as clean capital? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • Supplementary card issued in other country

    I am moving to UK later this year. My parent in law is going to issue a supplementary credit card to me and my wife to pay for our daily expenses. He is living in HK and is not a UK resident. Since he is the primary card holder and he owns the bank account (locating in his home country), may I know whether I should pay tax to UK gov by using this supplementary credit card in UK? How should I record the expenses (since I assumed my parents in law get the statement instead of me)