Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• 0-hour Contract claims (nursing)

Dear all, I am looking for advice with regards to being able to claim mileage and expenses. I am a bank member (0 hour contract) and work on a variety of hospital wards and sites. My standard commute is 50 miles each way (100 miles in total) and I do this commute approximately 4 x a week (48hours work). I currently am able to claim back fees associated with my job role (professional registration, union, washing expenses and some working from home expenses - training). I am on PAYE within the hospital bank staff system, so it is different to being self-employed via an agency under an umbrella company. For context, some nursing agencies require you to submit your own self-assessment tax returns and some place you on standard PAYE. In addition, some PAYE agencies also pay their employees for their mileage & hotel expense costs. I am interested to know, the following: a) Am I able to claim for my mileage to and from work, given the fact that I have no permanent fixed working address? b) Am I able to claim back congestion charges & toll bridge fees associated with travelling to alternative places of work? c) Am I able to claim car parking costs associated with work; i.e. pay & display car parking charges to enable me to work d) Am I able to claim back vehicle costs, i.e. if I were to finance/lease a vehicle as it is necessary to get me to work? e) Am I able to claim back public transport costs incurred by travelling to work sites? f) Am I able to claim back hotel/accommodation costs associated towards working patterns? g) Am I able to claim back meal expenses; i.e. £5 lunch expense? h) Am I able to claim back indemnity insurance? I look forward to hearing your responses. Thank you!