Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Marriage Allowance Transfer and Tax Refund

Dear HMRC ADMIN, Thank you for your your response. Bearing in mind my last comment (as a result of a phone call) and a the timespan of 2 years where do I go from here to conclude this please. Or is it that this is how long this process is taking now?
  • Marriage Allowance Transfer and Tax Refund

I am self-employed, my wife retired in October 2020. As a result she submitted the appropriate marriage allowance transfer forms (HMRC 575/T) including an application for a refund for the previous years from 2016/17.Within days HMRC sent an invoice for payment of a small amount of outstanding tax to pay, but less than the allowance to be gained. The payment was made within days. My tax code was changed for the following year to incorporate the allowance. I have since made numerous calls every 3 months regarding progress of the tax refund monies to no avail. My accountant has indicated the amount still outstanding and confirms that this has not been refunded. I have continually been told it is being dealt with, it has been paid, it will be resolved etc. etc. It would seem that no one can actually conclude this matter, or give a reliable confirmation of progress. To read comments that refunds are resolved in 8 weeks is simply not true. Waiting on the phone is sometimes as long as 45 minutes to then be transferred and wait again. The longest waiting I have experienced is 1 hour 14 minutes and was then transferred for another 15 minutes. My last call after an hour of waiting was after explaining, “You keep phoning us!” Response “I do, what is happening?” Reply “It’s in a pile of paper working from the bottom up. It will eventually be dealt with.” It seems that trying to obtain information is an inconvenience for you (HMRC) if you responded perhaps, you would receive less calls? My question is why does it take 2 years to get a response and payment, and what is happening please.