Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Transfer of personal allowance from spouse

    My spouse is not a UK tax resident and, save for some insignificant amount of interest income from UK banks, has no income. Is he entitled to any personal allowance? May he transfer £1260 of his personal allowance to me?
  • Offshore equity stocks and ETF held for ST trading purposes

    I had been trading equity stocks and ETF in the US and other places outside UK for years before I became a UK tax resident during the tax year 2021-22. The trading gains were not subject to any foreign taxes. 1. Should I report the net gain/loss as trading income or capital gains? Which form should I use? 2. Funds for trading were kept with the brokers in the original currencies well before I became a UK tax resident, and withdrawal were not made with reference to any specific transaction nor were they converted to GBP. Which exchange rate should I use to translate the realised gain and loss? Thanks.