Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: calculating state pension entitled to receive during tax year

May thanks for your posts. I get paid 4-weekly on on Wednesdays so I can work out the weekly entitlement and the whole number of weeks included in the tax year from my start date - this comes to what I actually received in the bank during the tax year period.
  • RE: calculating state pension entitled to receive during tax year

I'm grateful for the responses. Unfortunately the Department for Work and Pensions are very difficult to contact currently due to the pandemic. The help section on the self-assessment form states 'If you received State Pension for part of the year, you'll need to count the number of weeks from the date your State Pension began to 5 April 2020 and multiply this by your weekly entitlement to calculate your total entitlement for this tax year'. My query was whether the help section means count just full weeks from the date of the start pension up to 5 April 2020 if counting full weeks finishes on, say, 1 April.
  • calculating state pension entitled to receive during tax year

If you started to receive state pension part way through a tax year, you are required to take the weekly amount you were entitled to and multiply this by the number of weeks that you were entitled to receive it. Does this mean whole numbers of weeks? For example if your entitlement to state pension began on 12 March 2020, this leaves 3 full weeks until 1 April but 3 weeks and 4 days until 5 April. To obtain the state pension entitlement for the tax year 2019/20, should the weekly pension entitlement be multiplied by 3 or by 3 and 4/7?
  • allowable expenses query

In addition to the letting agent’s management fee that comes out of my renal income for an unfurnished property, I am also charged for two or three property inspection fees per year and an annual HMRC audit fee. Can I claim these as allowable expenses as well the management fee? Also, the oven provided was deemed to be uneconomical to repair by the engineer and I have had to purchase a replacement. Is this replacement an allowable expense? Thank you.