Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Sole trader vs foreign income- how should I register?

    I need to register for a 2022/23 tax return, but I am not sure which registration process I should follow. NB this is my first tax return. I began working for an overseas company in October 2022. For two years I worked as a contractor. I was paid through an online payment service called Payoneer, but I never brought that income into the UK (left it in the Payoneer account). From December 2022 I moved abroad and started working and paying tax abroad. I then withdrew the Payoneer money into my foreign bank account. I believe I will need to declare the income from the two months as a contractor in the UK, as well as the foreign income that I paid while abroad. However, I am not sure how I should register for the tax return. It seems I could register as a sole trader, using a Business Account, or that I could register on the basis that I have foreign income, using form SA1. Which is correct please?