Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Expenses reimbursed but not by direct employer

    Thanks for the reply but it doesn't really address my question. My question is related to the situation where the travel expenses were reimbursed by someone other than my direct employer. Do I assume these cancel out and only input any excess as travel expense, or do I claim for the full amount of travel expense and put the amount I was reimbursed as additional income, and if this is the case where would this be input? Thanks for your help
  • Expenses reimbursed but not by direct employer

    Hi, Last year I was employed in the UK by an umbrella company on behalf of a US company that didnt have a presence in the UK. The umbrella company dealt with my payroll etc. and my actual work was set by the US company. I went on a 12 week trip to the company in the US. The expenses for this trip were paid directly to me by the US company rather than via the umbrella company. Note I was not fully reimbursed all the expenses I actually accrued. On the self assessment form do I: a) Just enter the amount of expenses not covered by the US company, or b) Declare the reimbursement from the US company as income and claim the full amount of expenses? If (b) where do I declare the additional income - in the employment section as 'tips and other income not included on P60' or elsewhere? Thanks