Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: SA109 - UK Personal Allowance - 21/22 - Box 16 and 17

Thanks for your reply. However, my question is not in relation to Double Taxation Relief (my UK property income is only being taxed in the UK). I wish to claim my UK Personal Allowance to use against my UK property income (which is subject to tax in the UK). I understand that since I hold a British Passport that I am able to do so as per the web link below. https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/personal-allowance Therefore, am I correct that I need to put a "X" in box 16 of the SA 109 in order to claim my UK Personal Allowance? Please can you advise which country code I should put in box 17. Many thanks.
  • SA109 - UK Personal Allowance - 21/22 - Box 16 and 17

I am a British Citizen who currently lives and works in Hong Kong and I would like to claim my UK Personal Allowance (to use against UK Property income). In preparing my 21/22 UK Self-Assessment, I have put a "X" in box 16 on SA109 in order to claim my UK Personal Allowance (since I am a British Citizen). However, I am unsure which country code I should but in box 17 on SA109. I note that the Country Code for United Kingdom (GBR) has been removed from the 21/22 Guidance Notes. (This Country Code was included in the 20/21 Guidance Notes). Please can you advise which Country Code I should use for box 17 on SA109? (I assume this should not be HKG for Hong Kong since this is not the reason I am able to claim the UK Personal Allowance - the reason is that I am a British Citizen). Thanks for your help.