Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Error in personal details with HMRC

    Hi everyone, I've been trying to register for Self Assessment for weeks but I couldn't because, as I was told by a member of the HMRC Digital Support Team, my DOB is somehow incorrect with HMRC. Of course, I wasn't able to get through to a human support agent over the helpline, to get this sorted out. The Digital Support previously told me (via email) that they are unable to help and I need to send several of my original documents BY POST to HMRC but I don't see why I must do it since my DOB is correct in all the other UK databases, it's correct on my BRP and on the letter with my NIN I received, it's impossible to imagine how it can be incorrect here and not aligned with all the other state databases. It's so frustrating and there's seemingly no viable solution, I haven't found any cases like that on the Internet, it only says you can write to HMRC if your personal details changed but mine haven't, the date of birth has always been the same, in all the systems. Additionally, why should I spend my time and money to correct someone's human error that doesn't originate from my side? Why can't it be resolved online? I can't risk losing my original documents since I'm here under the Ukraine scheme and if Royal Mail loses my passport (and they are likely to, considering the quality of the service they provide), I would have to wait for months to get it re-issued since all our embassies and consulates are booked for months to come. If anyone ever encountered the same situation, I would really appreciate some advice Thank you