Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Question on "between £1,000 and £2,500 in any other untaxed income"

    Hi, I would like to check if my wife needs to submit a self assessment or not. During 2022/2023, my wife was unemployed and had the following income / profit: 1) $1102.04 (USD) dividend and interest - generated by US stocks and cash 2) £1999.57 (GBP) - Profit from trading CFD forex pairs. When I check the link "", it said that "You do not need to send a Self Assessment tax return". However, for the following statements on the checking page: "You must tell HMRC if you had: more than £2,000 income from share dividends between £1,000 and £2,500 in any other untaxed income, such as commission or money from renting out a property" Does she need to submit a self assessment? What exactly will she need to do?
  • Forex CFD Trading Loss

    My wife and I both did Forex CFD trading during the fiscal year 22/23, but both of us incurred a loss. For the fiscal year 22/23, I was employed but my wife was unemployed for the whole period. 1) Do I need to do the self accessment (for employed + CFD loss)? 2) Does my wife need to do the self accessment (for unemployed + CFD loss)? I have done the checks via the link below and it said that I didn't have to do the self accessment. However, I am afraid if I misunderstood some of the questions. Hope someone could help me to confirm. Thanks.