Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Child Benefit Tax Charge Help

Hi all – I’m looking for advice on whether I need to do a self-assessment for my child benefit claim either for previous years or going forward. I claim for 1 child. From April 22 my annual pay is £49,700 and I also get a 10% bonus each year paid in May. In May 22 I received a bonus of £5112 Previously my annual pay was £40,900 with no annual bonus however I did receive a one off bonus in 2021 totalling £10,624 which was subject to usual tax and NI deductions. For my pension contributions each month I pay 7%.... I think it falls under “with pension contributions under net pay arrangement deducted” but I’m not sure. I do have private medical insurance under deductions on my pay slip. My last P60 for tax year to 5/4/22 under pay and income tax details states total for the year is £46986.76. Does that mean I’m ok and don’t have to pay the high income tax charge for that year? Although my annual pay isn’t over £50,000 I’ve come to realise that my bonus may have taken me over or at least that’s how I believe it works. Can anyone advise on what I need to do for any previous year and this tax year, will my bonus mean I do need to submit a self-assessment for one or both?