Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Prove identity for repayment of overpaid tax

    I tried to claim a repayment for overpaid tax because of CIS today and was asked to prove my identity by way of answering questions in relation to my credit report. I answered the questions by using my credit report with CreditKarma, which uses the same reporting agency as the HMRC website uses to find out this information. Obviously, the information I provided was 100% correct, yet the website constantly told me that the information was incorrect and eventually locked me out of my account. I have spent 4 hours on the phone to HMRC today being transferred from department to department and everyone seems to think it isn't their job to sort it out. What is the department and phone number that I need to call to have my overpayment manually refunded to me, because evidently the website isn't going to work and I foresee this being a larger issue. Many thanks.