Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Marriage Allowance

Hi, my spouse submitted the marriage allowance application in mid-September so that part of his personal allowance will be transferred to me. I noticed that my personal allowance has not reflected the transfer yet, hence the calculated tax amount (for year 21-22) is overstated. How should I follow up on this? Shall I proceed to submit the self-assessment and pay for the higher tax first, and then follow up separately on the change of personal allowance?
  • Stamp Duty Land Tax - Relief for First Time Buyer (sole purchaser)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stamp-duty-land-tax-relief-for-first-time-buyers-guidance-note I am the sole purchaser of the property and I fulfil the definition of first time buyer as stated in the guidance note (the above link - Chapter 3). Would there be any impact on my status as a first time buyer, if my spouse owned a dwelling before but he won't be the purchaser of the property I am going to buy (i.e. it's not a joint purchase)?
  • RE: Split year treatment

Thanks. I have already reviewed the rules and understand I am qualified for the split year treatment. My question is, when I fill in the self-assessment, whether I need to report income for the whole tax year or just those income from the time I become UK tax resident. For example, I become a UK tax resident on 1 Feb 2021. My overseas income in the whole 2020-21 tax year is 1000 pounds, in which 50 pounds is incurred from 1 Feb 2021 till the end of 2020-21 tax year. When I fill in the tax assessment regarding the overseas income I have, shall I report 1000 pounds or 50 pounds?