Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Tax refund via technical tax advisor

I am still waiting 11+ months for my refund. I submitted my application, and evidence in September 2021. I submitted additional information in April 2022 when the technical tax responded after I made an official complaint. HMRC will answer this message by asking me to telephone the income tax department - who will say that I cannot be connected with the technical tax advisory as they don't take calls. The adjudicator has already become involved as I was not given the telephone number of the technical tax advisor. This is against The HMRC Charter which is a legal requirement under the Finance Act 2009. So HMRC I am reaching out this way as this is the only way I can communicate with you. I do not want to raise an additional official complaint! come on please adhere to your Charter! and respond to my request for my refund you have had all the evidence and information you requested.

UPDATE: HMRC have not been in touch. Nearly 4 months and counting,…

I would be grateful if anyone has a contact number of the technical tax advisor or an email or if the HMRC could please advise how I get in contact to send more information?
  • Tax refund via technical tax advisor

In August 2021 I settled via ACAS an ET out of court settlement. I had previously paid tax on the settlement as it was classed as income so this payment is exempt from tax however I was taxed at emergency level. I wrote to HMRC in September 2021 enclosing all of the information. Thankfully I sent it via signed for so I know they received it. I have called HMRC several times and was told that due to delays my case could take 16 weeks to be looked at. Today I have been told that it was being processed by a technical tax advisor and that I will have to wait up to August 2022 for them to investigate. I cannot reach anyone at the technical advisor line via the general helpline as it says book a call back and then the line hangs up and no telephone number is published. I am scratching my head why it will take 12 months to have my case looked at let alone have the tax refunded and why the technical tax advisor line is not published or able to get hold of anyone.