Thank you for prompt response,
1) Sorry which option is correct? Is it
A) online return - the end result of box 2 show up as "2"
B) Online return - the end result of box 2 will show up as "1"
2) So the saved copy online return for box 2 will show up as "number of children receiving child benefit ON 5th April, but this figure will actually be "2" as it is just the online return answer but saved in the format of a paper return.
Thanks once again
Thanks I will call the child benefits department.
In response to your answer above of:
When completing the online return, the Child Benefit section asks for the number of children you received 'any' Child Beneift for during the year. It will then ask if you received Child Benefit for the whole tax year for every child. If you say 'no', it will ask how many children you received a part year for. It will then ask for the start date and end date of entitlement for the part year, which would be 06/04/2021 unless it started later and the date the entitlement stopped. The calculation of the amount will be the same.
1) I just wanted to confirm that for box 2 of how many children you got child benefit for on 5th april , I will put "1" on the paper return, but if I did an online return instead and answered the above questions, will the end result of box 2 show up as "2"? Or it will also show up as "1", just like the paper return
Thanks so much!!
Sorry I had a look on the HMRC website and it states that :
When your child leaves approved education or training, payments will stop at the end of February, 31 May, 31 August or 30 November (whichever comes first).
So I am assuming I am for the 31st August is when payment stops. I used this date 31/08/2021 on the online calculator and it also gives me the correct amount of child benefit that matches my bank statement, so would this actually be the correct end of entitlement date?
Thanks for being patient with me
Thanks for the response, so will the end result of an online return give me an answer of "2" for box 2 instead of 1 for a paper return?
Also how do you determine the end date of entitlement, is it important that it is the exact date, if the overall amount is accurate?
As I am not sure when my end date of entitlement is.
my child turned 18 on 26th August. The last payment I received for £31.15 (2 children) was on 31st August 2021 for the week beginning on Monday 30th August 2021 , then on 7th September it reverted to £21.15 for the week beginning on monday 6th sept 2021.
Could you please advise me what would the end date of entitlement be?
I used the online calculator and it seems like any date from 30/08/2021 to 05/09/2021 inputted as end date of entitlement gave me the same answer for amount of child benefit received as what my bank statement shows. In this case can I just choose any date in this range?
1) Thanks for responding to me, do you think its possible to highlight for me what's different between the online return and paper form for the child benefit charge section?
Does box 2 change for the online return, does it no longer ask for children receiving child benefit ON 5th April 2022? Hence, Will I get a different number instead of 1 if I used the online section in my circumstances of 1 child receiving for first half of the year and 1 child for full year.
As I may be doing it online when I am able to activate the online account and want to learn more about it and know how to fill the online one correctly, but I can't access it until my UTR code arrives in the post.
2) Also, does the way you calculate the sum of child benefit received change if u submit it online, - "This is the amount of Child Benefit for a full week, where a Monday falls within the tax year."
Sorry for so many questions
Thanks for being patient with me once again
Thank you for your response,
1) So I only need to enter a date if all the child benefit ceased. No need to enter any dates anywhere regarding child benefit if only 1 child stopped and the other is still getting it.
2) I am confused about box 2.
Given the responses above from HMRC ADMIN 26 who stated that "It will show the total number of children you received ANY child benefit for during the year."(I presume is regarding box 2) and your response is that "Box 2 shows the number of children you STILL receive child benefit for, so you could, for example, reduce from 2 down to 1."
If I were to follow the advice from HMRC Admin 26, the box would state 2, whereas your guidance would suggest that I enter 1 child only. I would be really grateful if you could clarify my confusion.
Thank you so much
I have a few questions that is similar regarding child benefit charge. Please offer me assistance.
I have 2 children, 1 child who I received child benefit for the entire year and one for half the year for 2021-22.
1) For my child who I received child benefit for part of the year for, do I need to fill in on the return somewhere, the date when I stopped receiving child benefit for that child?
2) I read on HMRC website that for the figure of child benefit received: “This is the amount of Child Benefit for a full week, where a Monday falls within the tax year. For the 2021 to 2022 tax year, the first week starts on Monday 12 April 2021 and the last week starts on Monday 4 April 2022.”
I receive my child benefit on Tuesdays, so I got a payment of £35 on the 06/04/2021, the first day of 21-22 tax year. But I do not include this £35 on self-assessment as the Monday is 05/04/2021 which is the 20-21 tax year so I would not count this and instead I start counting from the next payment made to me (£35.15) on 13/04/2021 as that week’s Monday is 12/04/2021 and falls within the 21-22 tax year. Would I be correct in assuming so?
3) Likewise, the Last payment I received for the 21-22 tax year was on the 05/04/2022 (Tuesday) of £21.15, since the Monday (04/04/22) is within the 21-22 tax year, I will count this payment in the 21-22 tax year.
Sorry for such a long explanation, thank you for being patient with me
I got rental income for the first time in may 2021 so I need to register via SA01. The deadline is 5th October, does that mean that I have met the deadline by submitting the SA01 form online or does it only count as registering when I receive the UTR letter and activate self asssessment with the code online. I'm worried that delays from the post office would prevent me from receiving the letter in time and I will be fined.