Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Foreign Income Exemption Typo in HMRC Guidelines?

My question is related to notes in this advice page here. https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/non-domiciled-residents From the guidelines here on foreign income for non domiciled UK resident, I can see that in one of the section it mentioned that if you satisfy certain conditions and are employed BOTH in the UK and abroad, and earn less than £10,000 of foreign income, you do not need to file Self Assessment Tax Return for your foreign income. However just a section before in the same webpage, there was another part saying that if your foreign income is £2,000 or above than you will need to file for Self Assessment. So which figure is correct and is the £10,000 here a typo? Is that meant to be an amount that is below £2,000? Say for example I am employed full time by a UK company and earn taxable income from them, but also have another source of income of £700/month from a part time job that I do abroad (employed by a foreign employer with no business in the UK), In that case do I need to file for Self Assessment for the £700x12 that I earn this year from the part time job or not? Thanks