Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Foreign SA106 question

    Hello everyone! I have a quick question if I may! Background: As a UK resident I worked in Canada for Canadian employer (spent in Canada during tax year fewer than 180 days) and hence I would like to file a self-assessment. My Canadian employer deducted income taxes from my salary but also mandatory contributions to Canada Pension Plan (CPP ) and, also mandatory, Employment Insurance (EI) - both can be thought of as an equivalent of UK's National Insurance. Question 1: On form SA106 [Foreign] page 6 Section [Foreign tax paid on employment, self-employment and other income] Column C I am expected to provide foreign tax paid. Notes accompanying the form state 'Do not include foreign tax paid on overseas social security contributions or healthcare insurance premiums in this amount of tax.' I am not sure I understand what that means. Does it mean I only provide foreign federal and provincial income taxes deducted without CPP or EI contributions? Or do I include ALL of the deductions. Question 2: If the answer to question 1 is YES, meaning I should not include CPP or EI deductions, do I have to include those somewhere? Question 3: Does Foreign Tax Credit Relief (FTCR) also include relief/credit for National Insurance, or will I have to pay it? Thanks in advance!