Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Unable to login to online self assessment after GOV.UK Verify method stops working

I have done my self assessment online for over 4 years. I have to do it because I get little dividends from publicly listed shares abroad. I don't currently work in UK, and I don't have personal credit history in UK because I'm just an additional card holder to my partner's credit card. I have been able to use the online self assessment by logging in with the Post Office Verify account. I started using it after creating a Government Gateway account failed due to the identity requirements. Creating the Post Office Verify account succeeded because I had an opportunity to actually visit a Post Office and proof I'm a real person. Now I received a letter from HMRC that after 1st April Verify account will no longer work and I will need to use Government Gateway. I just tried it and I still have the same problem - I don't have UK passport etc. Are there any other options than starting to file my self assessments in paper?