Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: UK Tax on Australian Superannuation

Thank you. Reading the guidance it states: However, some types of pension or annuity paid after 5 April 2015 to a dependant, nominee or successor may be tax-free where they are paid from either a: registered pension scheme foreign pension scheme that is an overseas pension scheme or a relevant non-UK scheme (RNUKS). My husband was 45 years when he died and had paid tax on contributions to the SMSF. The guidance suggests that as my children and I are beneficiaries of an overseas pension tax is not paid on the annuity payments. Kind regards Helen

Thank you for your previous replies. Having read EIM 75600 if I and my 2 children are dependents receiving an income from my late husbands portion of the SMSF this is saying the income should be tax free. Please can you confirm this.

The article ion Double Taxation seems to refer only to the USA. Can the tax paid on initial contributions and growth within the SMSF be offset on lump sum withdrawals?

Hi, I am a dual Australian and UK Citizen. I returned from Australia in 2019 after being there for 20 years. I had a joint Self Managed Superannuation Fund (SMSF) with my husband who unfortunately died aged 45 years in 2014. The SMSF was divided in two with one half apportioned to myself and the other half divided between myself and my 2 dependent children. The SMSF has a number of investments which provide regular monthly or three monthly payments which as taxed by the ATO at 15%. My question is if I withdraw regular amounts from my late husband's portion and bring it to the UK at what rate of tax will it be taxed? Will the 15% already taken by the ATO be classed as double taxation? Will the children be able to use there tax free amounts? Many thanks