Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Conversion courses (University)

Hi. My wife moved to UK from Ukraine via the Homes for Ukraine programme. She is considering starting self-employment for the following activities working from home online: * Business and professional training * Personal development instruction Also she's going to complete a psychology conversion course to confirm her degree in UK. Is it possible (legal) to add the cost of conversion course to her allowable business expenses? Thank you in advance for your answer.
  • RE: Gift tax for cash gift from overseas

Hi. I'd really appreciate if you could help me with answering to my question with providing the links to the laws or other official documents which confirm the answer. My wife with my daughter came to UK by the programme Homes for Ukraine. They got BRPs for 3 years and spent more than 183 days in UK so they are UK residents now as I understand. They came with some savings which they put on a bank account and I'm also sending them money for covering living costs which I earn in Ukraine. My wife haven't succeeded in finding the job yet so she doesn't have any incomes as UK resident employee. I'm not UK resident as I've never been to UK and haven't got any BRP for UK. 1. Does my wife need to report about the money she's getting from me for covering living costs? 2. Does she has to pay any taxes for these money? I've found the following rule: There’s no Inheritance Tax to pay on gifts between spouses or civil partners. You can give them as much as you like during your lifetime, as long as they: live in the UK permanently are legally married or in a civil partnership with you But I couldn't find any information about what if one of the partners is not UK resident at the moment of sending money. Thank you in advance for your reply.
  • Transferring money to wife in UK from non resident husband

Hi. I'd really appreciate if you could help me with answering to my question with providing the links to the laws or other official documents which confirm the answer. My wife with my daughter came to UK by the programme Homes for Ukraine. They got BRPs for 3 years and spent more than 183 days in UK so they are UK residents now as I understand. They came with some savings which they put on a bank account and I'm also sending them money for covering living costs which I earn in Ukraine. My wife haven't succeeded in finding the job yet so she doesn't have any incomes as UK resident employee. I'm not UK resident as I've never been to UK and haven't got any BRP for UK. 1. Does my wife need to report about the money she's getting from me for covering living costs? 2. Does she has to pay any taxes for these money? I've found the following rule: There’s no Inheritance Tax to pay on gifts between spouses or civil partners. You can give them as much as you like during your lifetime, as long as they: live in the UK permanently are legally married or in a civil partnership with you But I couldn't find any information about what if one of the partners is not UK resident at the moment of sending money. Thank you in advance for your reply.