Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Foreign Income from Hong Kong

    Thank you for your reply "Admin 32" Given that Hong Kong and the UK have a Double Taxation Agreement, I am trying to establish if I will be taxed on my Hong Kong ORSO (Occupational Retirement Scheme) Pension Fund. The Hong Kong Inland Revenue Department does not tax ORSO or MPF's (Mandatory Provident Fund). Article 17 of the Double Taxation agreement states that Pensions are taxable by the "first -mentioned party". My question is : Will HMRC tax me on my Hong Kong Pension?
  • Foreign Income from Hong Kong

    I moved to the UK in February 2023 on a spousal visa. At the end of May 2022, I retired from my job in Hong Kong. I received an ORSO pension payment in July 2023 and transferred the money into my UK bank account. I also sold my apartment in Hong Kong which was the only property I owned (my residence ) and transferred the money to my UK bank account. I earned approximately £1900 interest from the money I transferred to the UK. During the past tax year I stayed for a combined 209 days in the UK, entering on a tourist visa. My questions are : Must I fill out a tax return for last year? If so, what type, Self Assessment? Will I be taxed on my Hong Kong pension? Will I be taxed on the money I received from the sale of my property? Thank you.