Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:39:40 GMT by
I am attempting to complete my corporation tax CT600 filing and have come across something which doesn't seem to make sense in the detailed profit and loss section. For info I run a business which generates 100% of its income by renting out property. Box CP39 is pretty populated from answers earlier in the document and is gross profit or loss. Further down box CP501 asks for gross income from property. Because all of my turnover is income from property these numbers are the same thing. However the calculators appear to be treating them as different and so is effectively doubling my turnover. Am I missing something? Because the resulting tax due is extremely high.
Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 09:45:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

Box CP39 is the gross profit and loss which is prepopulated in the detailed profit and loss. This box is prepopulated when a customer includes their turnover in box AC12. Box AC12 is the incorrect box to include income from property. You should include this in box AC405 for "Other income". You then need to include property income manually in box CP501 ‘Gross income from property’. 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 13:10:42 GMT by ROBERTP
Hi, I am having the same issue as the original poster, although my gross income from property is over £5,200. How can I complete the CT600 to show this? Do I need to use additional software?
Posted Fri, 07 Jun 2024 09:13:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi ROBERTP,
The free filing software supplied by HMRC has a set list of criteria as it is designed for use by small unrepresented companies with simple tax affairs.
Check if you can use the HMRC Corporation Tax online filing service
The above link gives the criteria that must be met for the company to use the free filing software.
If you attempt to submit a return through our free filing software, you will be asked a series of questions by the system to determine whether you are eligible to use it.
If the answers you provide prompt the service to inform you that you are unable to use our software, you will need to consult our list of commercial software suppliers.
This can be found here:
Commercial software suppliers for Corporation Tax
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.