Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 13:29:22 GMT by
I am a uk citizen based in the uk and i own both a US LLC and a UK LTD. Tax Plan Use US company bank account to receive all revenue. Pay US LLC tax on that revenue. Any income for personal use transfer to my UK personal bank account. Pay UK income tax on that money (personal allowance is 12,500) Would i still be able to keep the UK LTD active and not run any money through it or have any expenses just use it for a contact within the UK?
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:08:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

From a Corporation Tax perspective if the UK Ltd company is active and there is nothing going through the company then we can note it as dormant, usually for periods up to 5 years. This would mean we would not need annual returns submitted, however you may still need to submit dormant accounts to Companies House, you would need to check this with them,

You need to tell us that the company is not trading and we can update the records. However, you would have to notify us within three months of any trading commencing.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 21:49:09 GMT by
Hello Thank you for the reply, what happens after the five year dormant period though? As my UK LTD is used for contact purposes so would I just have to make it active again and then make it dormant straight after in order to add another 5 year period?
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 13:33:40 GMT by
And also just to follow up on that, Will I need to pay any corporation tax or could I just set up a US bank account and any revenue generated from the website I put into that bank account, and any money sent to my personal UK bank account I pay income tax or would I have to run the money through my UK LTD because I do business in the UK as well as the US.
Posted Mon, 17 Jul 2023 08:21:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
After 5 years we will contact the company to review the dormant status.  
Provided the company can demonstrate it continues to be dormant, the status can be extended up to a further 5 years.  
Guidance on what is dormant for Corporation tax can be found on our website at:
Dormant companies and associations .  
You can tell us your company is dormant for Corporation Tax at:
Tell HMRC your company is dormant for Corporation Tax
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 26 Jul 2023 07:40:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi WN,
Please find attached HMRC guidance in relation to international tax matters:
HMRC internal manual International Manual
HMRC is unable to provide tax planning advice and I would suggest you speak with an accountant regarding your query.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.