Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2024 08:58:10 GMT by rifflections
Hello, I've recently moved to the UK and I will work as a self employed. I'm trying to figure out if I did everything correctly to set up my tax accounts and register to receive my UTR. So I created a business tax account and followed all the steps in order to receive a UTR, which I will then use to register for self assessment. I entered all the data, received a confirmation code and now I'm waiting for the UTR. However, I just realised I also have a Personal Tax Account. But now I'm wondering if I should've registered to get the UTR through my personal account and not created a business account? (if that's even a thing) Will the income I generate as a sole trader be registered to me, as a private individual or is that just my business' income? Thank you in advance for your input!
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2024 16:04:29 GMT by Clive Smaldon
If you are a sole trader one UTR covers everything (your sole trader info goes on a normal SA return together with anything personal), you need to speak to HMRC
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2024 10:46:26 GMT by Muhammad Saqlain
Hi I Hope you'll be fine Dear Sir please can i get my all HMRC documents for my company their copies online through mail?
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 10:26:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Muhammad,
Thank you for your post
I would be grateful if you would clarify further which sort of documents you referring to?
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 Sep 2024 06:11:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi rifflections,
You are followed the correct process so far.
When you receive your UTR (which confirms your Self Assessment record has been set up), you can use that to register to file your Self Assessment returns online, via your Personal Tax Account.
You can do that here:
File your Self Assessment tax return online .
When you enter the income you generate as a sole trader on your Self Assessment return, that income will be attributted to you.
Thank you. 
Posted Sun, 08 Sep 2024 20:22:04 GMT by L lyluk2023
In July this year, I registered for Self Assessment for the first time. I was an individual sole trader in the 2023-24 tax year without employing anyone nor setting up any company. I already got UTR and a letter from HMRC suggesting that I need to file my tax return for the tax year. When I logged into Government Gateway, I found 3 sections: Business Tax Account, Self Assessment and Personal Tax Account. In the Business Tax Account, there is a link ’Add a tax to your account to get online access to a tax, duty or scheme.’ When I clicked the link, all the options including corporation tax, PAYE, self assessment for partnerships or trust, VAT, as well as other schemes seemed irrelevant to me. My questions: a) Should I ignore the link? Have I completed registering for the Business Tax Account? b) Can I start filing Self Assessment tax return right away? c) I will not claim split year. Can I file my tax return using HMRC online services instead of commercial software?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2024 09:35:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi L lyluk2023,
If the links do not apply to you then you do not need to access them.
Yes you can complete your Self Assessment online. You will need to enrol through your online account Personal tax account: sign in or set up to do this.
Once enrolled you will received an activation code that will allow you to submit your tax return online. If you do not need to complete the SA109 then you can file using HMRC software.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.