Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 18:20:06 GMT by QuestionBuddy
Dear HMRC admins, I had a business bank account some years ago, when opened a Limited Company in the UK. I'm the only director of that company and I have my personal account with the UK bank (with about 1 or 2 transactions a year). Since the company was dormant for a long time, I eventually closed the business account. Now I was going to start trading for the first time, so before registering with HMRC for the tax, I went to check if I need a business account. The information seems controversial - for example HSBC on its "business banking pages" insists that you "must" have a business bank account for an LTD, and you "can't use personal account". Some other sources, like "businessexpert" site (https://www.businessexpert.co.uk/business-banking/does-a-limited-company-need-a-business-bank-account/), go as far as saying that using personal account would NOT be in compliance with Companies Act 2006 and it is "not legal" to do so. On the other hand, some sources, including this very forum, appear to say that you do not need a business bank account by law (and don't even need an UK bank account). I would greatly appreciate if someone could explain whether business bank account is actually needed and whether personal bank account could be used instead? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 04 Sep 2024 11:08:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

A limited company should have a separate account which is solely for business income and expenditure but
HMRC have not set any rules about what a business uses as a bank account.

You may wish to check with your bank to see if they have any issues with a personal account being used.  

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.