Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 25 Feb 2024 15:02:09 GMT by Andrew McMurtrie
I was on PAYE as a permanent employee of a company, am registered for self assessment for personal tax and completed a self assessment for tax year 2022/23 and will do the same again for tax year 2023/24. From 6th April 2024, I will no longer be a PAYE employee and will be a sole trader. Do I need to register as a sole trader before I start on 6th April 2024? Or, do I wait until I complete my self assessment for tax year 2024/25?
Posted Wed, 28 Feb 2024 07:55:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Andrew McMurtrie,
While you can wait until the end of the 24/25 tax year before you update your Self Assessment status to include Self Employment (a Sole Trader), you can update us as soon as the 24/25 tax year begins.
please go to:
Set up as a sole trader
For more info and links to register, or contact us herefor more advice:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 14:28:21 GMT by Ste dav
Hi, not sure if this is the correct place or how to generate a new question, so apologies if incorrect. In short I am full time employed and currently pay tax via my employers PAYE. I will continue to to work full time but am looking to set up as a sole trader. Do I reg first as a sole trader, then self assessment? I haven’t started selling yet but would like to do so as soon as possible. If I reg before the end of this tax year, i.e April, will I still have to complete a self assessment, even though I have not sold anything?
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 16:11:40 GMT by Romana
I'm re-register as self-employed sole trader and I already have UTR.Will be HMRC send me letter about my new registration? Thank you
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 08:45:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Please see guidance at:
Set up as a sole trader
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 08:37:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Romana,
You should receive confirmation of your Self Employment registration 3 weeks after you reregister.
If you do not receive this and would like confirmation, just contact us by webchat or phone here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 13:52:32 GMT by Harpreet Kaur
hii... I apologies if I ask a question in wrong section. I want to know that I'm a student in UK and my husband is on dependent visa, he wants to open his salon in UK. Is he eligible for it? How much funds we have to show to open our business and is it necessary that only UK citizen is eligible to open a business here?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 09:05:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Your husband would need to contact the Home Office on:
020 7035 4848
9am to 5pm Monday to Friday
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.