Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 21:10:40 GMT by Jasmina
Hi, I live in a property where I have a terrace but the windows are single glazed and I would like to replace them with double-glazing, so that I can use that existing terrace structure, as my dedicated business office work space. As things stand, I can't use that space as it is too noisy for work calls and too cold. I believe I found HMRC guidance "BIM46925 - Specific deductions: repairs and renewals: what is a repair: changing technology", which shows that this is an allowable LTD company expense for my home office usage, as it is a repair rather than improvement. However, my accountant is stating that the only way that I am able to put this expense via my LTD company, is if my property is deemed a business premise and would then mean that I would have to pay business rates. Are they correct, or can I put this expense through my LTD company, so that I can use that terrace space as a dedicated office? Many thanks
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:35:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

We are unable to provide tax advice, and, or rulings on specific issues or circumstances. Under Self Assessment it is a matter for the company directors and any tax advisers to arrive at the correct position using available guidance. 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 08:27:39 GMT by BellaBoo
Hi, I'm not a HMRC Admin but your accountant is correct. The entity (the ltd company) carrying on the trade don't own the property or have any right to occupy it as business premises. So it can't be a business expense unless it is paid to you as remuneration (with the Tax & NIC consequences). I would also explain the page you've linked does not apply to employees or directors working from home, you have taken the manual page out of context. For employee & director rules you'd need to consult the EIM instead of BIM.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.