Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:24:12 GMT by
Hi I would like to ask how does correction of Company tax return look like when I miss the deadline to make changes? On the website concerning Company tax return (https://www.gov.uk/company-tax-returns/making-changes) I didn't find what I was looking for. But the website about Self Assessment tax returns (https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/corrections) says what should I do when I miss the deadline and what to include. My question is whether the procedure looks the same as for Company tax or there are any differences? Thank you in advance.
Posted Thu, 30 Mar 2023 14:56:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi MaDe

You must usually make any changes (‘amendments’) within 12 months of the filing deadline.
You can:
•    use commercial software
•    send a paper return or write to your company’s Corporation Tax office

You may be able to make changes to your Company Tax Return using HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) online services.

Check if you’re eligible to use the service.

However, if this deadline has passed, and you believe that you have paid too much tax, there are some circumstances where you may be able to make claim for

‘overpayment relief’

Further guidance and information can be found here:

SACM12000 - Overpayment relief: Contents

SACM12150 - Overpayment relief: Form of claims

Please note, claims for ‘overpayment relief’ for Corporation Tax should be sent to:

Corporation Tax Services, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AX

If the tax liability has increased, and you owe tax, you can make a voluntary disclosure.

Further guidance can be found here:

How to make a voluntary disclosure to HMRC

Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:39:23 GMT by
Hi Admin, I would like to ask if I can amend the corporation tax return for the period 2018-19 now with the current years accounts submissions? If not, then please do let me know how should i make the changes.
Posted Mon, 14 Aug 2023 10:57:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Amendments can only be made within 12 months of the filing date for the accounting period. 
2018-19 is out of time for amendment.
The figures in the 2018-19 return cannot be changed. 
If you believe the company has overpaid tax for 2018-19 or profits have been over assessed because of a mistake, then you can make an overpayment relief claim, if appropriate, in line with the guidance in HMRC’s Self Assessment Claims Manual on the gov.uk website at: 
Overpayment relief: Form of claims
Overpayment relief is given in terms of tax.
It does not change the figures in the company’s 2018-19 tax return. 
The claim must be received by HMRC within 4 years from the end of the 2018-19 accounting period.
So, for example, if the accounting period ends on 31.08.2019 the claim must be received by 31.08.2023. 
Overpayment relief is not available if one of the exclusions listed in the legislation applies.
Please refer to the guidance below for further details.
Overpayment relief: Exclusions: Overview
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:31:43 GMT by Nick Fenn
I am writing regarding a 2020/21 CTR where the Accounts were later changed but after the 12month filing deadline. Can the 2020/21 CTR be changed within the 4 year overpayment rule? Obviously an assessment exits but no tax has been made against this. Thank you
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:57:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
A company has two years from the end of an accounting period to make any changes to the Company Tax return.
As the amendment deadline has now passed, the company is unable to make any changes.
If you believe overpayment relief is a claimable relief for the period, please refer to the guidance at:
SACM12000
SACM12000 onwards included in the Self Assessment Claims Manual can advise if a claim is allowable under the company's circumstances and explains the form to claim.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 07:58:09 GMT by sag Aka
Hi, The deadline has been extended for the amendment for the CTR 20/21. Is there anyway we can amend it?
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 07:48:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi sag Akat,
You must usually make any changes (‘amendments’) within 12 months of the filing deadline.  
However, if this deadline has passed, and you believe the company has paid too much tax, there are some circumstances where you may be able to make claim for ‘overpayment relief’.
Further guidance and information can be found here:
SACM12000 - Overpayment relief: Contents
Please note, claims for ‘overpayment relief’ for Corporation Tax should be sent to:
Corporation Tax Services,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AX
If the tax liability has increased, and you owe tax, you can make a voluntary disclosure.
Please refer to guidance here:
How to make a voluntary disclosure to HMRC
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.