Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2024 11:03:47 GMT by Carmen Zahra
My two siblings and I have inherited an apartment in Malta following the death last year of our father. His main residence was in the UK and that property was sold at a price below that presented within Probate. The Maltese property was valued last year for Succession purposes at €190,000. We have paid Maltese inheritance tax on that value. I am just about to commence marketing the property with an agent in Malta at €200,000, although I’m not expecting to achieve that price. I understand that because this property was not a main residence we will need to pay CGT in the UK. How do we work out what the CGT will be? Thank you in advance.
Posted Thu, 04 Jul 2024 11:51:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
As the property was inherited by three people, any gain arising from its disposal is shared equally, 3 ways.  
The probate value of the property is the value at the time you and your siblings inherited the property.  
You will need to conver the probate value to pounds sterling using a just and reasonable exchange rate in place at the time you inherited the property. You will also be required to convert the disposal value into pounds sterling, using  a just and reasonable exchange rate in place at the time of disposal.  Please see CG15160 onwards, to determine costs (in pounds sterling) that can be deducted.
If the property is disposed of, at 'arms length' for less than the probate value, there is a loss arising.  
No capital gains tax is payable, but if you are a UK resident at the time of disposal, you will still be required to declare the disposal in the in the foreign section and capital gains sections of a self assessment tax return.  
If a gain arises, you would report the gain and claim a foreign tax credit for up to 100% of the foreign tax paid.  
There is a calculator at:
Tax when you sell property which may help you work out your gain/loss
Thankyou

You must be signed in to post in this forum.