Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 09:32:40 GMT by
Hi, I'm planning on selling a property by auction in late March 2024, and it will have a CGT liability. I'd like to confirm which tax year the liability will be for. The auction contracts will exchange on the day of the auction, and will be binding. But, completion will take place 28 days later, taking it into the next tax year. Does HMRC allow me to place the gain in the 2023-2024 tax year based on the binding contract, or do I need to place it in 2024-2025? Hope this is clear! Thanks!
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 11:56:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi SonnyH,
The year of disposal is the date contracts are exchanged( date missives signed).
If any conditions are attached then its when all the conditions are met.
The 60 days Poperty Payment Disposal starts day after completion (exchange of keys).
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 02 Aug 2024 08:04:44 GMT by Rachellouise Gateshill
If I sell a property is the rate of CGT payable calculated according to the existing law/rate at disposal date or according to a new rate that may have become law subsequently?
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 09:18:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

A disposal of residential property is subject to the rates of Capital Gains Tax in use in the tax year the asset is disposed of. The table below will determine the rate of tax to be applied:

Capital Gains Tax: what you pay it on, rates and allowances

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.