Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 15:37:25 GMT by
I am trying to report gains from the sale of my father's house , when trying to log in (over the last week) get a message "Sorry, we're experiencing difficulties, Please try again in a few minutes" - I have been trying all week on my phone and laptop but get the same message Will I be liable for a fine if I can't Report this online with 60 days ? Case : Father's house in his name , 3 beneficiaries, I have been told on other forums that only one CGT allowance can be used as it is for the estate, hence the need to report - is this correct
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 10:49:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

If the property was willed to the beneficiaries, then each of the beneficiaries, will need to work out if they have a capital gain. If they do, they will need to each report their gain individually. If there was no will, then the estate only has one annual exempt allowance and the estate pays the capital gains.  

The online services helpdesk may be able to help you. You can contact them with the link below.

Technical support with HMRC online services

Alternatively, you could download a paper capital gains return.

Report Capital Gains Tax on UK property

If you do not have access to a the internet, you will need to contact HMRC and request a paper return.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.