Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:43:17 GMT by Birch
I have some equities which were gifted to me by my husband when he became ill and could not handle them. One of them was bought in 1989 for which I have the transaction details. More of this same equity were bought using special allotment in 1996 (500), 1997(562) and 2000 (458 and for which I have the transaction details). The company has since been merged and new shares have been issued. Furthermore the group handling the shares, registration, dividends etc has changed since the merger. I have just sold the holding in its entirety. So how do I calculate Capital Gain when I have no documentation whatsoever for the 1996 and 1997 purchase? Do I use the price of the allocation in 2000 which is very similar to the original issue price? I did write to the previous group handling the shares and was told I could not have the information because at that time I was not the owner.
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 11:19:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi
You can ask HMRC to check this for you.
Post transaction valuation checks for Capital Gains (CG34)
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 22:30:16 GMT by Birch
Thank you. I knew the dates and how many from the managing group, but not the price. I have since found this by looking at the official annual reports lodged at Companies House. Since they were rights issues, the price and offer details were included in the annual reports, so I managed to get the prices, besides checking the number and dates of the allotments. The only thing I don't know is the fees, but I have the main details.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.