Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 17:57:11 GMT by
Hi HMRC, How do I report capital gains losses from previous years like 2021/2022? I'm submitting capital gains computations this year, is it sufficient to include the previous years computations in the report or do I need to write to HMRC to inform them of previous years losses that I would like to carry forward? Thank you
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:35:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
You can include them in the return as long as the losses are not more than 4 years old.
Losses need to be reported within 4 years of the tax year in which they arise.
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:49:55 GMT by
Thank you, so if I'm understanding you correctly, it is perfectly fine to upload the evidence of capital gains losses for previous years as part of the current capital gains computation if I want to use or carry those losses forward (So long as they are within reported within 4 tax years)? And there's no need for me to write to HMRC to inform them of the losses? So if I had losses in 2020/2021, I'm still within the timeframe to include them in the 2023/2024 Capital Gains self assessment by January 31 2024 and use or carry them forward? Just want to be 100% that I don't need to explicitly write to HMRC and attaching the computations on the online self assessment is completely fine? Much appreciated, thank you :)
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:54:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Taxpayer402,
You might want to send your computations by post too in event you still have some unused losses to carry forward.
Thank you, 

Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:04:24 GMT by
Thank you, Is there a timeframe for sending them by post do I need to do this before completing the self assessment? Or Is it okay to do it around the same time before 31 Jan 2024? Just want to confirm that if I did this to report losses in 2020/2021 as well as attaching them to the self assessment, I wouldn't be exceeding the 4 year time frame to report them?
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 12:29:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
An individual has 4 years in which to report losses.  
Losses reported on a paper tax return, should be submitted by 31 October each year and 31 Janaury if submitted online.  
You have  2 years from the end of the 31 January deadline to amend your tax return and a further 2 years until the end of the tax year to claim the losses in writing(4 years in total).

You must be signed in to post in this forum.