Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 11:11:45 GMT by CL McG
I inherited shares in a UK company in the early 1990's (I am struggling to find the actual date I inherited them). The company has merged and demerged over the years and the share price now is considerably higher than when I originally inherited it. However, I own less shares in the original company now. Merger in 1995 - I'm not sure what happened to my stock holding, I don't think there were any changes. Merger took place in 2000 - I think my shares were converted into the same number of shares in the new company Demerger occurred in 2022 into two companies - I received new shares in both. What share price should I use for capital gains tax UK purposes? I have looked at all the Helpsheets and none have helped me at all on this.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 11:09:02 GMT by CL McG
Bumping this to try to get an answer as it seems to have been lost!
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2024 09:20:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi CL McG,
As all the one company, it would fall under a S104 holding:
Please  see:
HS284 Shares and Capital Gains Tax (2024)
In particular point 4.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2024 17:26:05 GMT by CL McG
Thanks for getting back to me, however the companies are not one company any more so I don't think fall into a section 104 holding. The helpsheet is not clear on this at all. The demerger of A created a whole new company B and consolidated the shares in A. I received 1 share in B for each I had held in A, and then, as A was consolidated I received less shares in A. The overall value of A and B together was roughly the same as A was before the demerger. A has since fallen in price whereas B has risen. The gains and losses pretty much cancel each other out. I want to sell all of my shares in both companies to put them into an ISA using Bed and ISA. The total value of both together if I sold them now would be just less than £6k. As my CGT allowance for this year is £3k I really need to know what value, from when, I use to work out my gain/loss.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.