Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2024 14:59:50 GMT by mbk34
I have a 2nd home in France and am now considering selling. I expect it will raise around 350K Euros (nearly £300K). I will pay capital gains in France plus their social tax etc. The capital gains tax will be reduced because I have owned the property for 20 years. Do I pay any further taxes when I move the money to the UK? What is the best way of moving the money? I'm not sure what other info you'd need but I am 60 and have stopped working though I currently don't draw a pension. My wife is currently working and her income is around £16K. Our intention is to sell our main home and move out of London. We have 2 children (adults) aged 24 and 27. Thank you for any insight you can provide. M
Posted Wed, 04 Sep 2024 09:06:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi mbk34,
If UK resident and domicile you need to declare the sale here. You can claim foreign tax credit relief for French tax paid to set against any UK liability. HMRC cannot advise you on how to transfer the money.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 Sep 2024 09:45:54 GMT by Clive Smaldon
Not HMRC...it is not the date of moving the money that is relevant. You will need to report the gain to HMRC under UK rules (you cannot include the reduction in France re the 20 years for UK purposes)...so its net proceeds after legals etc (converted to £ at sale), less net costs (converted to £ based on exchange rates at that time), and any improvement costs, to give the gain. If its joint then divided by 2, and two returns need to HMRC, if sole, 1 return. Rates of tax will be 18% after annual exemption up to top of basic rate band unused, then 24% above that (currently...those rates may increase substantially in October budget), then you deduct the French CGT as a tax credit and pay the difference to HMRC. If the amount due in the UK is less than in France you cant reclaim the difference (unlikely as usually more UK CGT than in France).
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 08:00:47 GMT by mbk34
Thank you both, very helpful.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.