Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:38:49 GMT by Peter Montgomery
My partner is unable to access her Government Gateway account because of a data mismatch and was asked to submit documentary evidence of DoB before this can be resolved, which she has done this. But we've not heard anything back and the deadline for paying CGT on a property of which we completed the sale on 12/12/23 is fast approaching. Is there a way of obtaining a reference and paying the CGT without first resolving the government gateway log-on problem?
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 12:29:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Peter Montgomery,
If you are unble to submit the residential property capital gains, your partner may need to submit a paper capital gains return, which can be found at Report Capital Gains Tax on UK property
If not received within 60 days of the completion, a late filing penalty will be applied.
Your partner would need to appeal this penalty, citing the reasons you have mentioned as part of the grounds of appeal.
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 13:11:12 GMT by Peter Montgomery
Thanks! We'll proceed with reporting on paper.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.