Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 07 Aug 2023 09:44:52 GMT by
I've got taxed twice for CGT after sale of a property. It could be due to an error on my part filling in the paper self assessment form SA200? Under "Other Income" (7.1 on page 3) I entered the taxable gain amount & stated in box 7.3 that it came from a capital gain (I enclosed the CGT form SA108 detailing calc etc) Was I correct in doing this? On my Self Assessment tax calculation from HMRC I have now been taxed on this under "Income Received" ("Other Income") at 40% and also again as "plus Capital Gains Tax" at 28%. It's been impossible to ask HMRC as there are no options either on line or by phone to enquire about errors. Any advice on what went wrong & how to rectify this would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 07 Aug 2023 15:01:51 GMT by
I've since found out that the correct way of filling in the SA200 page 3 para 7 to be to just just put an X in the box that refers to Capital Gains and leave the other boxes blank. Capital is not classed as other income. This isn't clear on the form especially as CGT is mentioned in 7.4.
Posted Thu, 10 Aug 2023 12:21:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
You can contact us on webchat to give your personal information in order for the return to be checked and the correct advice given on how to fix it. Go to Gov.uk and search 'contact HMRC'.
Then choose Self-Assessment and go to 'Ask HMRC Online'.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.