Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 26 Aug 2023 12:17:34 GMT by
Hi, my father has lived in the same house since 1976. I lived in the same house to 2010. My mother deceased in 1980 and her share of the house passed to dad. In 1994 50% of the house was passed to me. We are looking to sell the house as dad needs a care home. It is his principal residence. I lived in it to 2010. How do i calculate the capital gains tax due on my 50%, is there relief as i lived in it for 34 years and how do I find the value at the time of transfer in 1994 as it is not listed. I need help please
Posted Thu, 31 Aug 2023 16:40:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Hamish Down,
Your father will not be liable as it is his main residence.
You will be able to claim private residence relief for 1994-2010.
1994 is the start date as this is when you 'acquired' the property.
You will need to obtain a valuation from 1994 and this can be done via local estate agents.
You will need three to then take an average.
Alterntively you can ask HMRC to do this:
Post transaction valuation checks for Capital Gains (CG34)
For private resdience relief refer to:
Private Residence Relief (Self Assessment helpsheet HS283)
Thank you. 

Posted Sat, 30 Sep 2023 20:24:12 GMT by
As it was my family home that I grew up on from when born, dad took care of everything. So can you confirm what I need to send with the application for relief i.e. bank statement, phone bill, hmrc letters and work pension letters ? Not sure what else I will have. It is the home I have had all my life until I married and moved out.
Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 13:26:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

You dont need to send anything like that with the application, but you may be asked for evidence at a later date. You do need to send a calculation on how you worked out the private resident relief that you are claiming for.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.