Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:49:39 GMT by Old Geezer
I am selling 4 formerly tenanted BTL properties in this tax year. Two sales will be at a loss and two at a gain. The sequence is: Property 1 Loss Property 2 Gain Property 3 Loss Property 4 Gain The total losses will be greater than the total gains so overall there will no cgt to pay for 23-24 .However when I complete on sale of Property 2 ,I will have made a ( temporary) gain, allowing for loss from sale of Property 1 . However the subsequent completion on sale of Property 3 will incur a loss greater than the gain on the sale of Property 2 and on the subsequent sale of Property 4 so that overall there is no gain and consequently no overall cgt liability for 23-24. The sales are within 2 months of each other. Query: Do I need to submit an online return and pay cgt following sale of Property 2 even though the subsequent sale of Property 3 ( loss) will wipe out any temporary 23-24 gain?
Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 16:00:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

As you need to report and pay the gain within 60 days, yes, you will still need to report.

Property 1, you do not need to as this is a loss,  

Property 2, you need to report this and there is a section that you can then claim any in year loss to reduce any tax due.

You then do the same for properties 3 and 4.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.