Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2024 18:59:55 GMT by carlos.calroy
Hi, I wanted to know how to report if my gain on dividends is over my dividend allowance. At the moment, my allowance is £500 for this new financial year and I think I will gain around £700. How do I need to report next year those £200 of dividends gain? Thanks very much.
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 14:37:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi carlos.calroy,
Do you mean how you would declare your dividends from shares you own?
Please have a look here:
Tax on dividends
Which advises you do not need to report your dividends to HMRC, if you are within the dividend allowance.
If you dispose of shares, then you may have a capital gain or a capital loss.
If your capital gain is more than the annual exempt allowance:
Capital Gains Tax rates and allowances
Then you need to report the gains using the online realtime service here:
Report and pay your Capital Gains Tax
You do not need to report capital gains if they are below the annual exempt amount for the whole tax year.
Capital gains losses, must be report in writing to HMRC, along with supporting eveidence.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 16:48:52 GMT by carlos.calroy
Hi, thanks for your response. Let me explain better the question with an example. I do own some shares and those shares distribute some dividends. The amount of the dividends is £700, which is above the dividend allowance (£500). That means I need to pay taxes for £200, right? Then, how can I report to HMRC that I have that increment of the income related to dividends? I can see in the first link you sent, that is the amount is up to £10000 (which this is the case), I have two ways: 1. Contacting the helpline 2. Asking HMRC to change your tax code - the tax will be taken from your wages or pension Is correct? How do I know the new tax code? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 10 May 2024 11:27:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If you do not need to complete at tax return, then all you would need to do is write to the below address to declare the gross amount if dividend you received in the tax year.

H.M. Revenue and Customs Pay As You Earn
BX9 1AS

Our colleagues would include this in your tax liability calculation and would send you a tax calculation, to you to advise how much tax is payable.  
If you do need to complete a Self Assessment Tax Return, you would declare the dividends in box 4 - 'Dividends from UK companies' on page TR3 of SA100, or the 'Dividends from UK companies' box on the online tax return.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 10 May 2024 17:47:02 GMT by carlos.calroy
Thank you very much. Very clear. Just one last question? Is the same procedure if the dividends are from US companies or foregin companies? I can see here: https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/paying-tax It says: You do not need to fill in a tax return if all the following apply: - your only foreign income is dividends - your total dividends - including UK dividends - are less than the £2,000 dividend allowance - you have no other income to report The dividend allowance is £2,000 or £500? How do I get Foreign Tax Credit Relief if I don´t need to do a Self Assessment Tax Return? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 15:07:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Foreign Tax Credit Relief is only due if UK tax is due on the same source. In order to claim this, you will need to complete a tax return and declare foreign income.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.