Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 10 Aug 2023 12:07:52 GMT by
I am selling a house in France that I have owned for 23 years. As required by French authorities, I have appointed a Tax Advisor who has asked for a standard letter from HMRC to confirm that I am a UK resident and that I continue to be liable to the UK for social security purposes and no other Member State's social security legislation applies to him/her during this period. Can HMRC help me obtain this letter? Many thanks
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 06:46:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Alan Wells,
You will need to request a certificate of residence here:
How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad
If you have not yet sold the property, we will issue a letter of confirmation of residence and if you have sold the property, we will issue a certificate of residence.
The same form is used for both.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 17 Aug 2023 12:47:58 GMT by
Thank you very much for this information
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 11:01:37 GMT by gt71027
Dear HMRC, Could you advise on the link to gain the document which the French authorities require when selling a holiday home regarding NI (Social Security) proof for the UK. Portable Document A1 Thanks in advance, Gary
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:53:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

It is a certificate of residence you apply for and specify that it is for a french property.

How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 03 Aug 2024 07:47:05 GMT by Ceebee1001
I also am selling a French property and need a certificate of residency to show that I pay for social security service in the UK. HMRC advised me to complete the CoR form. I did that and then they said it was a mistake and I have to complete the CA8421 form. The CA8421 form certainly does not seem to apply as it is about working abroad. I work and live in the UK (although I did work abroad from 2018 to 2021) But not now. I seem to be going around in circles on this one. Any advice would be appreciated!
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 12:01:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,
The French need this certificate in respect of the social taxes that they charge so the form is still required to show that you pay similar charges here.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.