Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 02 Apr 2024 10:05:27 GMT by ArnoldE
Hi Team I sold my sole overseas residential property in Jun 23 and arrived UK in Nov 23. I am qualified for split year treatment for tax year 2023/24 - do I need to declare/ report this property sales transactions (my overseas part under split year treatment before I became UK tax resident from Nov23) for 2023/24 tax filing? Many Thanks.
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 13:13:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year:

RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment

If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK.

Tax on foreign income

The guidance at RDRM12150 at GOV.UK will help you work out if split year treatment applies. 

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:30:57 GMT by ArnoldE
Thanks. Is capital gain from the sale of overseas property counted as foreign income please ? In other words- if you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income (including capital gain from property sale) for the UK part of the year, is this correct? Best
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 06:43:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi ArnoldE
It is a foreign capital gains, not foreign income.
It should still be declared on a Self Assessment tax return, even if no UK Capital Gains Tax is payable.
If you qualify for split year treatment and the disposal of this property occurrrd in the non UK resident period, then it is not taxable in the UK and should not be included on the tax return.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.