Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:09:05 GMT by Havefun2023
Hello, I will enter UK with a valid 5 years BNO visa in 2024. However, I will only spend 1 or 2 months in UK for each of the first 3 years. I will be staying in temporary home (i.e. hotel or serviced apartment). Therefore, I will not be a tax resident during the first 3 years from 2024 to 2026. My question is under this new tax regime, when I should start counting the days? Is it from the moment I land in uk using my BNO visa or it only counts when I become uk tax resident probably in 2026? It is critical for me as BNO visa holder can enjoy first 4 years tax free for their foreign income. I would like to plan in advance before I move to uk. I would be grateful if u can provide more information on when the new tax regime starts counting? Because for the first 3 years in uk, I won’t be qualified as uk tax resident due to limited days and ties in uk. I will only be qualified as uk tax resident starting 2026 by which I will permanently live in uk. Thanks in advance! Have a great day!
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 06:09:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Havefun2023,
The new regime comes into effect on 6/4/25.
If you arrive prior to that you will still be under the current system and it is therefore for you to determine your resdience status based on current guidlines.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.