Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:00:49 GMT by Andrew J
Hello, Please can you advise me on how to set-up a CGT account from this situation... I have an existing Government Gateway ID which I have used for Self-Assessment, but when I follow the link to create a CGT account I only get the options to do so as a Trust/Estate or an Organisation, and I need to do this as an individual. I was advised on the phone to HMRC to set-up a new Government Gateway ID, but when I tried, using the same details as my existing account, my progress is stopped and I am reverted back to my original account: 'We have found your personal tax account under a different Government Gateway user ID To protect your information, access to your personal tax account was limited to the user ID below, ending with ****. You are currently signed in with the user ID ending with ****. To access your personal tax information you need to sign in again with the following user ID: *my existing details are then listed' Is there something going wrong with the process when I follow the link to create a CGT account? How can I set-up a new individual account with my existing details? Would this work if I created a new email account and used my same ID? Can I amend my existing account to make it both an individual and business account? Thank you, A
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2024 08:31:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Your existing government gateway user ID and password, relates to a business account. You will need to re-register for a personal account and government gateway user ID and password.  

Please sign up for a personal tax account and create brand new user ID and password for personal tax use. You cannot use your existing government gatewasy user ID and password.

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2024 16:23:48 GMT by Andrew J
Thank you. Do I need to use a different email address or different ID to do this? I have already tried signing up for a new account but after checking my ID I am re-directed back to my original Government Gateway User ID.
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 05:34:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Andrew J,
For assistance you will need to contact our Online Helpdesk:
Technical support with HMRC online services
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 21:22:53 GMT by Leicestershirelass
Have Technical Support with online services been able to resolve this for you . I have exactly the same problem and am literally stuck in a loop.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.