Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 18:29:34 GMT by Inlaw1 Ward
Hi, my mother-in-law died in 2022 and it is only now that some money has been released to my Father-in-law following probate. Apparently there are a few more monetary items still to be sorted before all is complete. My Father-in-Law now wants to give £40k to each of his 4 children as their inheritance from their mother, but the 2 living in the UK were wondering whether there would be tax due on this amount. Can you help?
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2024 12:01:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
There are generally no Income Tax implications on the giving of or receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends. These would then potentially be subject to tax. Further guidance can be found here Tax on savings interest: Tax on savings interest
Tax on dividends: Tax on dividends
Inheritance Tax is only due when a person's estate is worth over £325,000 when they die, or if the person who died gave away more than £325,000 in gifts in the 7 years before they died. 
The rules on giving gifts can be found here: How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances
You may also want to review the guidance at: How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances

You must be signed in to post in this forum.